Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My sons eleven and a half year old Labrador has just been diagnosed

Customer Question

My sons eleven and a half year old Labrador has just been diagnosed with Lymphoma. Because she is not insured and given the financial restrictions that the situation implies the Vet is, at the moment, only treating her with Prednisolone. Can you give me some idea of the Prognosis for a dog on this medication or suggest any other remidies that may be triedgiven my sons financial restrictions.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

I have treated dogs with lymphoma on many occasions over the years, I will tell you what I know about this disease. I am sorry that the outlook for dogs which are on prednisolone as a sole treatment is not good.

Scott Nimmo :

I have treated dogs with lymphoma on many occasions over the years, I will tell you what I know about this disease.

1. This is a disease which will present with swollen lymph nodes in the neck and elsewhere. The only sure way to diagnose lymphoma is via a lymph node biopsy, you can suspect it on clinical signs but you will not be 100% sure. Blood tests are an aid to diagnosis but often do not present the whole picture.

2. There are a number of ways of treating lymphoma, one of which is by the use of a drug called prednisolone alone, this is given orally. If you go down this road your dog is likely to have a six week to two month remission period, during this remission period these dogs will be close on normal and have a good quality of life. At the end of the remission period the disease will come back with a vengeance and normally your dog will die very shortly after that. So sorry to be so blunt ...

3. There are more advanced treatment plans involving standard chemotherapy drugs which will give significantly longer periods of remission. However using steroids alone previously will very much reduce the effectiveness of them if you decide to change treatments. So you have to decide which way to go from the start.

4. On the chemotherapy protocols I have personally undertaken the side effects I have seen have normally been quite minimal. What you would normally achieve would be six to nine months of remission and normal life but then the drugs become ineffective and the dog slips away. Cures are in theory possible but I personally have rarely seen any but you would have a much better chance of success if your dog is dealt with by a specialist oncologist at a referral center somewhere.

Here is a link to a very good web site which covers the subject in depth so you can research it all a bit more : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal