Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

What could be the causes of unexplained vomiting & letharg

What could be the causes of unexplained vomiting & lethargy
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?
2- Is he currently on any medications at home?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has not been sick again for over 24 hours now. He is not on any meds at all
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Angela, vomiting and lethargy can be caused by many different diseases. In an older cat we begin to get concern of systemic diseases like: Kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders, infections, etc. to name a few causes. It is also important to remember that cats as a species will develop liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) secondary to not eating regardless of the inciting cause.
In this case, I would strongly recommend having him rechecked by family veterinarian for blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on test results. In the meantime, you need to force feed him. Offer him a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible, blend the food and force feed him small amounts with a turkey baster 4-6 times a day. In addition, give water with a dropper directly into his mouth.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter