Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

my dogs bowels have not moved since this morning and then

Customer Question

my dog's bowels have not moved since this morning and then only a little. He is a working cocker. he is eating normally, urinating normally and exercising normally. Should I consult a vet or is there something I can give him.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Zac.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry he's got you worried.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I want to be sure I understand the situation accurately.

Dr. Jo :

Zac usually has a bowel movement every morning, but hasn't today...

Dr. Jo :

And he is otherwise acting completely normal? No diarrhea? No straining to defecate?

Dr. Jo :

Eating and drinking normally and normal activity level?

Customer:

He usually has a bowel movement twice a day, he had a very small one this morning he has no diarrhea and is not straining. Seems full of beans and his dinner tonight.

Dr. Jo :

While I wait for your clarification, I will add the following: You asked if you should consult the vet or is there something you should give him. I'd like offer a third option.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Jo :

Given that he is in no distress at all and the only thing that is unusual is that he hasn't had a bowel movement, it is actually fine to do nothing.

Dr. Jo :

Even though it is a departure from his normal routine, the lack of a bowel movement doesn't indicate a problem.

Dr. Jo :

I hope you find this good news to be a bit of a relief.

Dr. Jo :

Signs of a problem would be appetite loss, straining to defecate, diarrhea, vomiting - things like that.

Customer:

How long can he go without a bowel movement. If there is none tomorrow should I take him to the vet

Dr. Jo :

As long as he is otherwise acting normal, it's fine to just give him time.

Customer:

ok thanks for that