Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hi. My miniature Schnauzer is under the weather and I would

Hi. My miniature Schnauzer is under the weather and I would like a little advice. About a week ago she vomited after having her tea. Didn't think much of it as it happens once in a while. It happened the next night too so we starved her for 24 hours and she seemed ok but again after her tea she vomited again. The next night we gave her steamed chicken and nothing else and she was ok for 48 hours, so we graduated her on to her usual food and the vomiting started again. She is drinking lots of water, understandable I know as it's quite warm. She is only sick about 1-2 hours after eating and not in between. She has not had diarrohea and her stools are almost normal, even though there is not a lot as she is not eating anything. Can you help. Many Thanks Rita Forman
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Rita. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is she?
2- Is there always food in the vomit?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess is 8.

It appears to be just the food in the vomit. There is no blood or slime.

She has no pre existing medical conditions, if fact she has only ever been to the vet for her injections and the occasional bout of vomiting diarrhoea.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry forgot to say she weighs about 9 something, is it kg? I don't understand this new money. I will get the scales out and weigh her now.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, or even part of a systemic disease. I am going to make some suggestions, if she continues to regurgitate after doing the below she should be seen by family veterinarian for xrays and blood work as initial screening test. This is what you can try:

1- Divide her meal to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day.
2- Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
3- Raise her eating bowl on to a small stool to force her to raise her head while she eats.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian if she continues to regurgitate after doing the above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Thank you, ***** ***** do as you suggest. Can I get back to you for some more questions on the same subject, without it having to cost me any more. I'm a pensioner and not very flush. Rita

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Yes, follow this thread; it will not close unless you close it. I will be glad to answer additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. I will give you advice a try for a couple of days. Do you think going back to the steamed chicken a good idea, or would it be any food? Also is this a common ailment for Schnauzers?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
For now if you put her on a bland diet of rice (50%) and steamed chicken (50%) would be best as it is easily digested.

Regurgitation is not a breed specific disease.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter