Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is garlic o.k. to give to dogs , I have been told its poisonous

Customer Question

Is garlic o.k. to give to dogs , I have been told it's poisonous to them , is this true ? and does it help to ward off fleas ?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

The situation is, very small amounts of garlic are not toxic to dogs, some over the counter pet products such as wormers have small amounts in them and these are perfectly safe.

Scott Nimmo :

Larger amounts can be toxic

Scott Nimmo :

Please hold on I am still typing up your answer

Scott Nimmo :

Garlic is in the same category as onions really, a small amount of onions which you could find in say a burger are no threat but the rule of thumb which I personally apply is that a single meal of one pound of onions can be toxic to a 15 pound dog.

Scott Nimmo :

It may be true that garlic can ward off fleas to some extent but really it would be a very low grade remedy

Scott Nimmo :

You would be better to use something like Frontline to get rid of fleas effectively

Scott Nimmo :

Many people look for natural remedies for your sort of situation but unfortunately these rarely work very well { if at all }

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could they be hedgehog fleas , as I have one comes to the garden every night , would the stuff I got not work on those fleas ?

Hello again Margaret,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

Hedgehog fleas do not affect dogs, it is very probable that you are dealing with standard dog { or cat } fleas. What is the name of the products you got from your vet?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

frontline and advacate ?

Hello again Margaret,

Thanks for the info, Frontline should be just fine it is about the best, but here is an old trick, wash him in baby shampoo the day before you apply the Frontline and let it dry in well before rinsing and then do not wash him for two weeks. I have known this make a difference.

Also treat the carpets in his area on the same day { Most of the products for this are just fine }, this will kill fleas in the environment and immature forms, frequent vacuuming will take care of the eggs. Do this on the day of the Frontline treatment and make sure you wash all his bedding using a hot cycle wash on that day as well.

Regards,

Scott