Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 6wk old female lab/rottweiler cross and want to know

I have a 6wk old female lab/rottweiler cross and want to know how much I should be feeding her. She is on Purina Beta puppy. Our vet says follow feeding instructions on the bag but that is based on how much the adult will weigh and I have no idea what that should be
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does Ripley weigh?

Can you let me know which Purian Beta Puppy you are feeding?

(ie large breed, flavor, etc)

Otherwise, can you take a photograph of the food nutrition label and post it here. To post a photo, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (More Info). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Doc. She weighs 5.5 lbs...it is Purina Beta Puppy with Chicken

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Stella,

Apologies for my delay in reply. It appears that the Purina company is a bit illusive on providing a nutritional break down of their product. Now as you have noted, the feeding instructions are not overly helpful since the require a crystal ball to predict your dog's future weight. Considering her heritage, your lass will likely be between 25-50kg when she is full grown (depending of course if she is from a smaller or larger strain of each breed). With that in mind, their instructions would direct you to feed her at a rate of ~221-690 grams. Understandably this is not very helpful.

Now I have had a good peruse to see if I could get some further information on the calorie content per gram of their diet (so I could work out her caloric requirement for her current weight for you). Still this doesn't appear to be listed anywhere that I can find.

Therefore, I would request that you check your label and see if you can find this information. If you cannot, then I would note that in this case, you will need to ring the company's phone number listed on the bag. They can either give you the break down of calories for us to calculate or may be able to give you an appropriate level for her size.

Since I could not find this information for you and therefore cannot calculate her requirement with this diet, I am sending this note as an "Info Request" so that you will not be charged. But if you do speak to them and they give you a Kcal per gram dose, do let me know and we can work out an appropriate feeding rate for your wee one based on her current weight.

All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

does this help....from the package..protein 28 % fat 14% crude ash 7.5% crude fibre 2.5% DHA 0.5%...but that doesnt add up

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Stella,

I am afraid it doesn't help us. The company is very oddly leaving that all important caloric content that we need to properly work out we feeding ration from all their information. As you can see below, this is the bulk of information that seems to be listed for this product:

Composition: Cereals (wholegrain 20%), Meat and animal derivatives (meat 14%, chicken 4%), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (dried beet pulp 1.1%), Vegetables (dried chicory root 1.1%), Minerals.

Additives: Nutritional additives: IU/kg: Vit A: 22 600; Vit D3: 1 300; Vit E: 170; mg/kg: Fe (E1): 94; I (E2): 2.3; Cu (E4): 10; Mn (E5): 7.1; Zn (E6): 175; Se (E8): 0.23; Vit C: 140. With antioxidants.

Analytical constituents
Protein 29.0% Crude ash 7.5%
Fat 15.0% Crude fibres 2.5%

Therefore, unless we have the calories (Kcal per gram), we can only speculate off their odd guide for future dog weight. So, this is a case where you would need to discuss this with the company directly (Contact Details) to be able to work out a proper ration for her instead of just guesstimating on the limited information available.

All the best,
Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for trying

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome, Stella.

Do contact the company, as they unfortunately appear to be keeping their diet's caloric density close to their chests (which will limit all of us in working out a proper diet ration for your wee one).

Take care & I will pass your question back to customer services,
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.