Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in emergency medicine, zoo, exotic, and wildlife medicine.
21470562

Any zoo vets online?What kind of antibiotics would be needed

Any zoo vets online?
What kind of antibiotics would be needed to treat a tiger or large bear? What sort of tools would be needed to safely amputate a leg, what anaesthetics, cutting instruments, dressings etc? I know it is a strange question, but I am researching animals in war zones for a university assignment.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am a veterinarian with over 15 years experience in the field of zoo and large exotics, and hope to be able to answer your questions. Do you still need this information or have you already completed the assignment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gwen,

It would be great if you could answer the question thanks Gwen. Please focus on an answer for the bear only.

If it's possible could you add some further information. Although it is unconventional could you please state in your answer medicine and instruments that would also be safe to use on humans in an emergency ie. anaesthetic, tranquiliser, antibiotic, cutting tools and treatments that are also 'safe' on humans, but in different quantities, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Other. Dr. Gwen offered to answer, but has not yet replied. Ii may appear on your automatic response system that an answer was given, but this was just an offer of service. Gwen has agreed to answer in this way, but the answer has not yet been posted. Please ensure that I do not have to repay to obtain my answer, thanks.

Original question: Any zoo vets online?

Already Tried:
This is a research question for a university assignment.

Dr Gwen offered to reply but has still to post her answer. I have modified the question a little. Please focus on the bear only in your answer and specify those medicines and treatments that could in an emergency be 'safely' used on a human too ie. antibiotics, anaesthetic, cutting tools, tranquiliser giving an idea of the difference in dose between a 400 pound bear and a 196 pound adult male. Thanks.

I am waiting on an answer still, thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.
I can answer your questions in regards ***** ***** bear needing a limb amputated, but as I am not trained in human medicine I do not feel comfortable answering that portion. Having said that, there are a number of antibiotics and surgical instruments that we use in veterinary medicine that are extrapolated from the human field. For example, for an infected wound in a mammal I might prescribe Clavamox, which is called Augmentin in the human field but is the exact same antibiotic.
A bear needing an amputation would need to be anesthetized for the surgery. Generally an injectable drug such as Telazol, M99, Carfentanil, or more commonly, combination anesthetics are used and include Dexmedetomidine, Ketamine, Xylazine, Butorphanol, Midazolam. Some of these are used in the human arena, and some (ex M99) are not. If available, placing the bear on gas anesthesia would be of benefit as it would give more control over anesthetic depth, require less of the injectable product, and is generally safer, but requires much more equipment.
The wound preparation would include shaving hair away from the area, massive flushing and debridement, and then surgical removal of the limb. A gen***** *****st of instruments - hemostats of various size, clamps, scissors of various shape and size, bone saw if necessary, needle drivers, thumb forceps. Cautery would be very helpful. Finally, for a bear, a tremendous amount of suturing to close the defect is needed. This would not be a case to bandage as most bears, on recovery from anesthesia, would immediately remove any bandage material. Post-op, good antibiotics and pain management are essential for wound healing, and Clavamox, Baytril, Cephalexin, etc are all good antibiotics used in bears.
I hope this answers your questions, good luck.
Dr. Gwen, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years experience in emergency medicine, zoo, exotic, and wildlife medicine.