Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

My miniature poodle who is 13 years of age is suffering with

My miniature poodle who is 13 years of age is suffering with what appears to be a wart that is irritating her on her front leg below the elbow. She made this worse by excessive licking, area is red. I took her to the vet and was prescribed fusiderm cream. The problem I have is applying the cream. My dog is a rescue dog and as space guarding issues. I have to muzzle her to apply the cream this is stressing her out. I have read this studyMay 2008) a study was published by a veterinary research group in Turkey found that a 10 day course of the antibiotic azithromycin was able to remove all lesions within 15 days with no recurrences during an 8 month follow up period. This therapy is readily available in the U.S. and has been frequently included in treatment regimens against papillomas since the publication of this paper. Do you think this treatment would help because the only option other the cream given to me is surgery requiring an General anaesthetic, my dog is elderly and would need pre anaesthetic bloods which would stress her more also the risk of the anaesthetic.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
definitely Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
Warts sometimes do redspond to a ten day course of treatment with azithromycin, it is not extremely expensive, has very few side-effects and may be successful in getting rid of Poppy's wart. It is worth the try. Althouogh antibiotics are not usually effective against viral diseases, it is thought that a bacteria is needed by the wart virus for its survival. The azithromycin kills the bacteria and the virus dies as well. You should be forewarned that not all warts respond to this treatment, however.
Another option would be to find a veterinarian with a surgical laser. These machines have become quite common in the past few years, and the procedure could be done with a local anesthetic, and might not even require a sedative, much less general anesthesia.
Yet another possible approach would be cryotherapy - freezing. Some veterinary hospitals possess this technology for use in just such instance, again, not requiring general anesthesia to be used, I would suggest working with your veterinarian to try the azithromycin therapy first, then looking to one of the other options should it prove not successful fo Poppy. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****