Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog was hit by a car today. Nothing is broken,but he is

My dog was hit by a car today. Nothing is broken,but he is severely bruised. He is still at the vet for observation and I asked about arnica for the bruising. My vet said he was not opposed, and does believe that it works, but does not know how to administer it. I love in Shetland & certainly don't want to move the dog all the way to the mainland for a consultation, but would really appreciate knowing how to administer Angus with arnica to help him heal....Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I'm so sorry to hear about Angus, he must be terribly sore.

Dr. Susan :

As far as arnica cream goes, it should be applied sparingly to the site of the bruising twice daily.

Dr. Susan :

It should not be applied to any areas of broken skin, and some people may have sensitivity to it so you may want to use gloves to apply.

Dr. Susan :

It can also help with the pain associated with the bruising.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer:

I use arnica myself, so I know how much it helps people - both the cream & the pills. Is there any way to give him the pills also, and what would the dosage be? Are there any other homeopathic remedies that might help get him through these difficult weeks?

Customer:

By the way, he is under the care of his regular vet, but he does not feel comfortable with homeopathic remedies because he hasnot studied them. He does, however believe they might be of some use, specially since he has used arnica himself. It was he who suggested that i contact a homeopathic vet.

Dr. Susan :

Make sure the topical potency is greater than 6x (use the homeopathic, NOT the herbal). Then for the oral, I recommend the 30C tabs. Give 3-4 every 15 minutes for the first 4-5 doses, then repeat as needed every 4-8 hours. The arnica CAN be used with traditional pain medications like NSAIDs and opioids. Make sure your vet knows that it is safe to use these in addition if Angus still seems uncomfortable!

Dr. Susan :

You can also add turmeric to his food to reduce inflammation (add from 1/4 teaspoon up to 1 teaspoon to each meal, depending on his tolerance to the taste)

Customer:

Thanks so much ....great advice. I use tumeric & don't understand why I didn't think of it.