Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

we microchipped our cat on monday and she had at the same time

Customer Question

we microchipped our cat on monday and she had at the same time her rabies vaccine and her wormer over more or less the same area. now she has lost all her hair in that area. we are very concerned about this. please advice us
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome - My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me : How big is the area of hair loss?

Customer:

i am away from home, but my partner has shown me on skype

Customer:

it is a little larger than a coin,

Scott Nimmo :

OK thanks for that, here is the situation : This is not an uncommon occurrence, sometimes it is due to a reaction to the vaccine, but rarely the microchip since this is inert. At other times there has been a some transient low grade discomfort or irritation due to the actual injection procedures and many cats then lick and fur pluck at the effected area.

Scott Nimmo :

The good news : As long as there are no other symptoms then in my experience this is rarely a serious problem and the hair will grow back over the next month to six weeks without any great medical interference. It does this as the reaction naturally dies away or the levels of discomfort die down.

Customer:

thank you scott! this makes sense. it is behind her shoulders, so we assumed that she would not be able to reach that area, but she may still reach it and scratch i guess.

Customer:

we thank you very much for your kindness

Customer:

indy, laura and erwin

Lets carry on here Laura ...

cont ... However if the underlying exposed skin is in any way red or inflammed then applying 0.5% hydrocortisone cream to the area twice a day for three or four days could greatly help. { This is a human over the counter drug }

But of course if you become further concerned you should have your vet take a look.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Laura,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on Indy's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much for your precious help.

I was able to sleep at night peacefull last night, as I was really concerned about her well being.

All the best

Laura

No problem Laura,

very glad to have advised you.

I am very much a cat person myself by the way ...

Regards,

Scott