Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

my dog has been bit by something and is having an allergic

my dog has been bit by something and is having an allergic reaction
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
1. How much does your dog weigh?
2. How much piriton did you give?

3. Exactly what symptoms are you observing?

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

38kg 1 piriton. they are large red lumps on belly and feels like they are all over. Her eyes are face are swollen

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Okay Clarie.
Off to the ER vet. Without a doubt. The antihistamine will NOT be sufficient to address that facial swelling. This is why I wanted to ask those questions first. It is a textbook recommendation, really by all vets, that if swelling is present, giving a steroid shot is crucial for a fast and effective recovery.

Also, at that body weight, and with a severe reaction, I would not hesitate to give a second piriton right now.

Wish I could do more, but a steroid shot is key to resolving that swelling and the hives on the body.
The antihistamine, alone, could take several hours before any benefit (if any benefit) is seen.

I will pray for a speedy recovery.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy