Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Puppy stung on nose 24hrs ago.swelling on nose yesterday. Given

Puppy stung on nose 24hrs ago.swelling on nose yesterday. Given steroid injection and antihistamines for next 3 days. Puppy sick this morning and seems tired is this normal.?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What antihistamine was dispensed?

When did she last have a dose?

What is she bringing up in her sick?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Piriton 4mg twice daily..last dose 7.30am. His breakfast was brought up.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

In this situation, I would be highly suspicious that both signs you are seeing (the vomiting and lethargy) are being triggered by the Piriton. We commonly will see lethargy and sedation with this antihistamine, so his being tired would be considered normal. As well, while not as common, we can sometimes see GI upset (ie nausea, appetite loss, vomiting) secondary to this medication as well. So, it is quite likely that we are seeing side effects of the antihistamine and nothing more sinister.

In regard to approach to this situation, if the swelling has subsided, then you can choose to stop the Piriton. Alternatively, you can give him a half dose to see if it is better tolerated. Or if he does still have that swelling and we need to treat a wee bit longer, then you can take a few steps to settle his stomach. To do so, you can consider treating him with an antacid (of course give his stomach a wee rest for a few hours first, since administering anything to an upset stomach will likely trigger further vomiting). There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Further to this, once he is a bit more settled, you can consider keeping him on a light diet for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to to keep his stomach settled.

Overall, his signs are suggestive that the Pirton may be upsetting his stomach. Therefore, we don't need to be alarmed but if the swelling has subsided then you can choose to stop the Piriton. Otherwise, you can try the above steps to keep his stomach settled while he is on them.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )