Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Helo I have 2 separate dog issues, 1st one is my labrador kenzie

Helo I have 2 separate dog issues, 1st one is my labrador kenzie who has just turned 7 yrs, when he was 18mnths he had to get a tumour removed from his right vshoulder, over last couple year he has had 2/3 biopsies done for lumps which were faty lumps, av found a lump at the very top of his left shoulder joint, is it possible for my dog to have developed a faty lump o that area or do you think its something of concern thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So the new lump is in the same area where he had previously a lump removed, correct?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No his lump that was removed was up past the top of his right shoulder and the new lump is at the top of his left shoulder joint, he has a few fatty lumps which av had biopsies done which my vets have assured me were fatty lumps that's been over last 4 or so years
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
In response to your question, a fatty tumor can be developed anywhere there is fat. Basically it is a tumor made of fat cells with a capsule of connective tissue. Very benign tumor. So, yes it is possible for him to develop a fatty tumor in that area. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter