Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

our dog, who hasnt been with a female before, is having difficulty

Customer Question

our dog, who hasn't been with a female before, is having difficulty in staying within the bitch for over a minute. She has never been mounted before but is keen. She is 3 and he is 4 years old. He appears to be getting bored and is not showing the interest I had hoped. Any ideas please? The bitch came into season 11 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are some males that do not get the idea right away. Since your girl has been in heat for 11 days, she should be in the Estrus period by now making her receptive to the male. This period will last 7-10 days so it is best to get them together every other day until Troy gets the idea. There are some times that the male does not understand and in this situation we have had to do artificial insemination. There probably is nothing wrong with Troy but he is slow to get teh idea....give him more time.

If there is still a problem, have your vet give Troy a thorough physical exam to eb sure he is healthy for stud.

This LINK may help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta