Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My cat, around 4 years old had a minor fall, i didnt see it,

My cat, around 4 years old had a minor fall, i didnt see it, i heard the crash and he ran into the lounge, he can walk fine and can go to the toilet fine, he's eating and i can touch his back without it hurting him, he doesent cry out, but he isnt moving his tail, he can sort of move the base but isnt moving the rest at all. He isnt his usual self and seems quieter. He can jump up to the table, chair etc he just isnt himself, what do i do?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Poor Mog! It definitely sounds like he had some trauma to his tail. At this point, I don't think we can determine if he could have broken it or if it is just a soft tissue injury.

Dr. Susan :

Ideally, we would do an exam and an x-ray to figure out if it is broken.

Dr. Susan :

However, even if we find that it is broken, we may do nothing more than short term pain medication for him.

Dr. Susan :

You mentioned he was able to use the litterbox without a problem, which would be my main neurologic concern, considering the base of the tail does contain the end of the spinal cord.

Customer:

should i take him to the vet or just keep him warm and calm and see if the issue improves, he can move the top of his tail fine

Dr. Susan :

For now, I would strongly consider a visit with your regular vet for some prescription pain medication. Unfortunately, there are no appropriate over the counter pain medications for cats.

Dr. Susan :

I think it would be kind to take him in for the sake of pain control.

Customer:

The problem is i am at work tommorow and sunday and cant get to a vet untill monday afternoon

Dr. Susan :

Aside from these issues, I would monitor him closely over time - if he does not regain use of his tail, he may also not have feeling in it. He may even feel numbness or tingling. If that is the case, some animals will start to over groom or chew at the tail, causing significant damage and potential for infection.

Dr. Susan :

Very worst case scenario, he could be a candidate for a tail amputation in the future.

Dr. Susan :

Well, since he is eating and acting relatively normally, I think you can safely wait until Monday. I think he will remain quite stable until then.

Dr. Susan :

You may even notice significant improvement if it is just a soft tissue injury.

Customer:

I will make an appointment for him to be seen on monday and keep watch on him he still wants to be stroked and cuddled so he just seems a little bit quieter

Dr. Susan :

I think that is a good plan for now. Please feel free to post back to me with any updates or further questions. You can continue to write under this question even after you have completed your rating :)

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** a bit more reassured.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics