Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our 4 and 1/2 year old female cavalier king charles has suddenly

Customer Question

Our 4 and 1/2 year old female cavalier king charles has suddenly become rediculously clingy and very quiet this is not normal for her! she is eating and drinking as normal and wagging her tail but she has suddenly changed from being very boisterous and energetic to being very subdued ! We also have a 8 year old female cavalier king charles and we've noticed over the last couple of days that the older dog has become more dominate over the food.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets - including myself - were reluctant to give you a necessarily nonspecific answer. When such a dramatic behavior change occurs in pets, our first job is to determine if that change has resulted from a medical or behavioral problem. It would be prudent to have Millie's vet perform a thorough physical examination on Millie which might include basic blood and urine tests predicated upon the findings in her exam. If nothing untoward is found, a behavior problem can be investigated. For example, is she being dominated by her older housemate? Are there changes in the household that are causing her to become anxious? As you can imagine, a behavioral problem can be very difficult for me to diagnose from here but if you have additional history for me, please let me know and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.