Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Weve forgotten to worm our pets while moving house and one

We've forgotten to worm our pets while moving house and one of the cats has coughed up a tapeworm. I have two children and am really worried about the possibility of them having caught something, do I need to get some treatment for them as well as for the animals?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I have good news for you if this is a tapeworm then your kids are almost certainly in no harm! Tapeworms in order to be a threat to human almost always have to be ingested in cyst form which means your kids would have to eat your pets raw .... yes the actual pets themselves in order to contract the tapeworm. In rare cases eating the tapeworm directly can cause the problem too so unless your kids are eating your pets or the worms, and washing their hands tapeworms are not a threat to them! Go ahead and worm your pets again to help them otherwise with good hygiene your children should be fine.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** Is there any risk from other parasite eggs etc if my son digs in the garden? I'm not convinced my husband is great on hand washing.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
There is a risk of parasitic eggs in the soil, but the vast majority of the time those are deposited by wildlife and other stray animals rather than your pets. Anytime a person contacts the soil there is a risk of parasitic eggs but most of the time the pets are not the source regardless of if they are shedding worms or not.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! You've just stopped me having a panic attack and taking my kids to A&E in an irrational maternal flap!

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all I'm glad I could help!

Dr. Dan