Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My rabbits are male mini lops and are currently 4 and a half

My rabbits are male mini lops and are currently 4 and a half months old. I took them for a neuter at 4 months and the vet said that their testicles hadn't yet descended. Last night one of my rabbits began humping the other one. I don't want this to become excessive and lead to a fight so I have had to separate them.
Today I took them to the vets again and the vet told me that their testicles could be inverted and that he would have to book them in for next Friday and do the operation whether they had dropped or not. Meaning he would have to go into the abdomen rather than the usual method of castration. Is this method generally safe and it it necessary at this point? I obviously want the boys to be able to stay together but I don't want to put them through this operation if it is not necessary?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

The abdominal approach to neutering is not terribly risky. It's basically a spay surgery except on a boy. The approach is the same as a female with similar trauma and risks (minimal) except instead of removing a uterus the vet is removing the testicles. As long as the vet feels confident in performing spays on rabbits there is no reason to delay the surgery or be too concerned about the outcome.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ah OK, so as long as both rabbits are healthy it should be fine? Will the boys need pain relief for home as well as just after surgery? I know that females tend to get medication for home after a spay.

I have been keeping an eye on the boys over the last couple of days and I am convinced that one of the boys has descended, I have also heard instances of the testicles descending when the rabbit is under general anesthetic as they are relaxed? Have you ever heard of this happening?I am hoping that both of the boys will descend before Friday as then they can have the regular technique applied.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
I always send pain medication home regardless of the sex, I just send a shorter course of pain mediation for the boys if I don't have to cut into the abdomen.

Yes I have both heard of and experienced the testicles moving before an after anesthesia. The testicles can be moved freely in and out of the abdomen by most rabbits. Sometimes the testicles can be massaged back down into the scrotal sac under anesthesia too!

Dr. Dan