Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Hamsters nails bleeding what should I do

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is Dr. Jo and I will do my best to help you with your questions about your hamster. I'm sorry you're having this problem, but I think I can help.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

You should be able to get the bleeding to stop by wrapping your hamster in a washcloth (this will allow you to safely and gently restrain him.

Dr. Jo :

Then, carefully pull the affected paw from a fold within the washcloth so you can press some corn starch or flour directly into the broken nail.

Dr. Jo :

This will help it clot faster.

Dr. Jo :

A little bit of pressure and the flour or corn starch is sure to stop the bleeding. The trickiest part is being able to hold the little guy so you can manipulate his paw without hurting him or you.

Dr. Jo :

Does this help?

Dr. Jo :

If you need further assistance, please feel free to type it in. I'll be alerted of your reply and will help as soon as possible.

JACUSTOMER-p0vmtonn- : Thank you
JACUSTOMER-p0vmtonn- : It's stopped bledding now
Dr. Jo :

Good. How is your hamster acting? Everything okay?

JACUSTOMER-p0vmtonn- : Ok normally
JACUSTOMER-p0vmtonn- : Everything ok now it has stopped
Dr. Jo :

Good. Glad to hear it. Anything else I can do to help?