How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 30411
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

our spaniel has eaten sultanas and now is of her food and lethargic,

Customer Question

our spaniel has eaten sultanas and now is of her food and lethargic, what should we do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Raisin toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar) in dogs. We worry about acute renal failure in sensitive dogs who have ingested >0.1ounce/kg of body weight (>3g/kg). Can you estimate how much Lilly ingested and please let me know what Lilly weighs? How long ago did Lilly ingest the raisins? I'll await your reply.
Dr. Michael Salkin and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lilly is a small spaniel about 7kg.


 


The sultanas were given yesterday evening by my wife and she had several but I can't say for sure how many.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we think 12 sultanas

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I'd be concerned if Lilly ingested >0.7 ounces or > 21 grams of raisins. The symptoms of acute renal failure will appear within 12-24 hours of ingestion and include vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, diarrhea, abdominal pain (as evidenced by splinting of the abdomen), and weakness. Lilly is anorexia and lethargic which could indicate toxicity but those symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of raisin intoxication; for example, the raisins may have simply caused gastrointestinal distress.

The only way you can know if Lilly is in trouble is by having blood drawn for a BUN and creatinine - tests of kidney function.

answer to second post: I would estimate up to 2 grams per raisin. 12 x 2 grams = 24 grams and that's a potentially toxic amount and so I encourage your having her BUN and creatinine tested at your earliest convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Mike


 


She isn't showing all the symptoms, but we will do as you suggested. I can get her to a vet in about 10 hours from now.


 


Kind regards


Peter

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Hi Dr Mike


 


BUN & creatine tests came back normal ( 8.0 I think is that right? normal anyway)


 


She has had a pain killer, an anti-biotic & an anti-sickness jabs.


 


First thing they did was to put her on a drip.


 


Initial physical exploration didn't find anything but they didn't probe too hard because of her discomfort, so they are not promising that there isn't damage until they can but they think it has been caught in time.


 


She was weighed and I was wrong she is 11kg which no doubt means her toxic level wasn't quite as high as it might have been.


 


I will confirm when we get her back, currently she is hospitalized.


 


Thanks for everything, am I right in assuming you are in the States?


 


We live near Norwich, Norfolk, UK.


 


Thanks


 


Peter Clark

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good update. Yes, 8mmol/L is normal.

I'm typing this from San Diego, California. I split my time between San Diego and the Big Island of Hawaii.

My best to Lilly!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
May I have an update on Lilly, please?