Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat has an allergy probably caused by a flea bite as shes

My cat has an allergy probably caused by a flea bite as she's had this before. She's booked into the vets on Wednesday morning for a blood test(she's epileptic), I don't want to book another appointment as she really hates the cat box, goes into a sort of shock. So is there anything I can do to stop her itching and chewing at her skin in the meantime to make her more comfortable?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has she created a sore on her skin where she is chewing?
2- Is she currently on any medication?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Do you have anti histamine at home or name of available ones over the counter in the U.K.?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, she,s chewing a lot, she has lots of little scabs now. She's on phenobarbital for her epilepsy and she weighs I think about 3.4kgs. We don't have any anti-histamine and I don't know the names? Can I put anything on her skin that will help with the itching until she sees the vet on weds?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Helen, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from chewing or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. Do not let her outside with the ecollar.

2- Pick up in your local chemist "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Pick up over the counter in your local chemist an antihistamine. I will give you two options, choose one at the chemist:
a) Benadryl (diphenhydramine), give 2-4mg every 12 hours.
b) Chlorpheniramine, give 2-4mg every 12 hours.

5- If she has fleas important to address the fleas as well. You can use Frontline once a month. In addition, add capstar pills once a day every other day for two weeks. Vacuum premises.

6- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it definately ok to give these things when she's taking phenobarbital?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Yes Helen, it is safe.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter