Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have treated my cat for fleas with Front line six weeks ago

Customer Question

I have treated my cat for fleas with Front line six weeks ago and 2 weeks ago. even trimming her hair in the area before applying so it wen ton her skin not the hair. I have also sprayed the whole house twice and key areas several more times with Stay kill. She is still suffering from fleas ( me too!). What more can I do. She hates water so I can't wash her especially as I am single and it would take at least two people, 1 to hold and one to wash.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she strictly indoors?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. she goes into my Garden but rarely further.

My other cat, who has also been treated and seems to not have fleas (no scratching, no fleas in comb) goes out and further afield.

I have sprayed main areas in garden where I know she sleeps with an anti ant and crawling bug killer which mentions fleas too.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Mark, when we continue to see fleas despite the patient being treated with frontline it is usually because of the larvae in the environment. This is what you cand do:

1- Continue using frontline once a month.
2- Capstar pills once a day every other day for 2 weeks.
3- Use products that contain sodium polyborate in the home to kill the larvae. This is very safe for the cats but does wonderful against the larvae.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter