Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My 13yr old cat isnt eating and the little that she has is

My 13yr old cat isn't eating and the little that she has is making her sick
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello,this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Polo.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that she is having this issue.

Dr. Bruce :

Depending on how long this problem has been going on for, will determine how to treat.

Dr. Bruce :

How long has Polo been vomiting/not eating?

Customer:

On and of about week and half but the same thing happened a few months back

Dr. Bruce :

How was it treated a few months back? Was there a diagnosis?

Dr. Bruce :

I would be concerned that there may be some underlying condition causing her to have this problem. I would be prudent to withhold food for the next 12-24 hours to allow the stomach and GI tract to calm down.

Dr. Bruce :

Continue to offer small amounts of water to help stave off dehydration. You may also use pedialyte or some other similar electrolyte replacement solution. You may even need to use a syringe or dropper to put the fluid directly in her mouth.

Customer:

No we tried applaws food and then she stopped eating that and went back to Felix sensations and seemed to be fine until now she is hiding under bed a lot and seems to want to eat but has a sniff then walks away

Dr. Bruce :

If you can give her a pill, you can try giving 1/4 of a Pepcid (famotidine) tablet to help reduce stomach inflammation.

Customer:

Thank you we will get appointment with vets tomorrow to get her checked out

Dr. Bruce :

You're very welcome. Good luck with Polo and I hope she feels better very soon. I would make sure to ask your vet to check her kidney function and her thyroid function along with more general testing.