Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My rabbit keeps sneezing. She has had two different antibiotics

Customer Question

My rabbit keeps sneezing. She has had two different antibiotics in the las few months and it didn't help. She has watery eyes which have been flushed. Diet or hay has not changed. Please help.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still waiting.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that the UK site has a paucity of vets versed in rabbit medicine.

Numerous infectious diseases are associated with disease of the upper respiratory tract in rabbits; they're due mainly to bacterial agents, but in rare cases, viral, fungal, or parasitic pathogens may be involved as well. These agents also produce lower respiratory disease with classic clinical signs and presentation of pneumonia. The most significant pathogen is Pasteurella multocida and we also find Bordetella, Pseudomonas, and Staphylococcus species.

Treatment of Pasteurella should be our focus. Various treatment options are reported in the literature. Infection was eliminated in 7 of 8 rabbits treated with enrofloxacin (Baytril) at 5mg/kg subcutaneously every 12 hours for 14 days. Enrofloxacin given in the drinking water (50-100mg/L) for two weeks was similarly effective if our rabbits drank enough so that the daily intake of the drug was greater than 5mg/kg. Ciprofloxacin (20mg/kg) by mouth daily for 5 days eliminated infection in groups of rabbits in studies. Finally, Deeb reported success in control of chronic cases of confirmed pasteurellosis using enrofloxacin (5-10mg/kg orally every 12 hours) or chloramphenicol (50mg/kg orally every 12 hours) for up to 2-3 months.

These antibiotics are available from your vet who can also show you how to administer enrofloxacin by injection - my therapy of choice. Feel free to share out conversation with Kelsey's vet. I suspect that either less effective antibiotics had been prescribed or the antibiotics used weren't prescribed for a long enough time. In addition, chronic pasteurellosis can be very difficult to totally eliminate.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.