Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat (16years old) has been bitten within the last week -

My cat (16years old) has been bitten within the last week - I think.
He had a swelling to the right of his jaw.
This has seemingly now 'burst' and shows blood.
He has perked up a bit.
What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now while we would be distressed to have an abscess rupture, Vispo is likely feeling better because the pressure and pain that would have been building up at the site has now settled.

In regards ***** ***** this, if he will let you then you can clean wound with a diluted antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color). This should be done a 2-3 times a day, and discharges should be washed away. If he is amenable, you can also use a syringe (wo/ a needle) to flush the inside of the rupture hole where the discharge is originating. To keep him from scratching the area and introducing more bacteria, you may need to place a buster collar while this heals.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care for this ruptured abscess, it would be ideal to have him checked by his vet today. They will be able to confirm your suspicions that this came from a fight. This is quite important for a cat Vispo's age, since older cats are more likely to get abscesses near the mouth due to dental disease (and the abscess will just recur again if this is the case). Furthermore, they can treat him with cat safe pain relief (ie metacam)to reduce inflammation/soreness and antibiotics to ensure that no stray bacteria ends up in the healing wound to cause another abscess to form.

Overall, cats often feel better once an abscess ruptures. That said, we need to topically flush the wound and consider at least antibiotics to ensure that no bacteria induce a second abscess in this area. Furthermore, it is worth having this checked to just make sure this isn't a dental induced abcess since leaving the primary issue in place will lead to the abscess returning once the skin heals.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )