Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My Golden Retriever who is 7yrs old has had a lump removed

My Golden Retriever who is 7yrs old has had a lump removed from over his eye the vet has informed me it was not liquid or fat but attached to the muscle it has been sent away to the lab we are waiting results we are now concerned because we have been in formed this could involve chemo / radio treatment what do you think are possibilities of this being the outcome by the way the original sample taken and sent to the lab but not conclusive but the report stated that fibres were present. The lump has been present for about 4 months and has not grown in size or bothered the dog.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Honestly, I think absolutely zero.
There is really nothing, at this point, to suggest a neoplasm (cancer) versus a benign growth.

My only concern is if they were able to fully removed it or not. Now, even if fully removed, and if cancer, the need for chemotherapy/radiation may still be necessary.

So, whether attached or not, does not indicate that it may be cancerous.
I honestly, would not have even mentioned chemotherapy until I had the histopathology report from the pathologist. Why? Because, you could be worried for absolutely nothing.

I would just take it one day at a time.

NOt to mention, any type of additional therapy also depends on what "type" of cancer.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy