Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

our dog was bitten on the neck by another dog. a sac has appeared

Customer Question

our dog was bitten on the neck by another dog. a sac has appeared on his neck, it is hot to the touch and was weeping. since appearing our dog is stretching his neck and constantly licking his nose or into thin air. he keeps opening his jaw wide but not yawning.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Based on your description, that wound has clearly formed a likely abscess. It is very important, and soon, to get in to a vet. That draining wound may need to be thoroughly flushed out and oral antibiotics started immediately.
The additional discomfort and inflammation is evident with the neck stretching and awkward jaw motions you are observing.

Dog bites and scratches carry loads of bacteria!

Now, even if not a abscess, it could be some other type of inflammatory reaction, like a seroma. But, either way, it would be important for immediate supportive care. I wish we had some easy way to treat at home, but no chance under these circumstances.

I will pray for a speedy recovery.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy