Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my king Charles ears are very hot and she keeps rubbing the

my king Charles ears are very hot and she keeps rubbing the sides off her mouth taken her to vets they gave me olive oil to put in her ears
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did the vet see when they looked down her ears?

Are you seeing redness in the ears (as far as you can see down)?

You noted that she rubs the side of her mouth not her ears. Are you seeing any change to the lip fold area? Inflammation, crusting, pustules, pimples, etc?

Have you recently changed her bowls or diet?

Has the area around her mouth been wetter lately (either from drinking or drooling)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vet said small bit of wax in lower drum on one side

no redness or smell as far as i can see

the side of her mouth could have more wetter

changed her biscuts about 3 months ago now stopped it today

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

As I am sure you can appreciate, olive oil is just a home remedy for loosening wax. If your vet didn't see any inflammation, you are not seeing it either, and she is actually rubbing her mouth, then the ears may not to be our issue here.

Instead, we have to ask ourselves why she is rubbing her mouth and this can be due to a range of issues. We can see topical allergies (often related to plastic dishes but can potentially be induced by dietary allergens). We can also see this if the skin around the lips is developing a moist dermatitis or lip fold pyoderma.

If you are not seeing any skin changes that I have noted before but are seeing a bit more wetness around the area she is rubbing, then we do have to be a wee bit concerned about a brewing moist dermatitis. In this case, you can salt water bathe area (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and then thoroughly dry the skin afterwards. This can be done a few times daily but would be best done after meals or when you notice the area is wet. And if we have a wee niggling infection brewing, this should nip it in the bud.

Further to this, just to rule out allergic causes, you can consider trying your lass on a low dose of Piriton (chlorphenamine). This comes in a 4mg tablet and the average sized King Charles can have 1 tablet twice daily. Just note that antihistamines can cause drowsiness (just as in people), so if she does get sleeping you can half this dose or just give it once daily. And of course, we'd want to double check with her vet before use if she has any pre-existing conditions or is on any medication you haven't mentioned.

Overall, it does sound like your lass's issue is actually her mouth and not her ears. It is possible that as she rubs her mouth, the ear is getting stimulated (by being rubbed as well or by just being near where blood vessels are dilating in response to her irritation) at the same time and this could be giving you the red herring of redness and warmth. So, do treat the ears as per her vet's instructions but also consider addressing her mouth situation as well. Hopefully, as you tackle both, you will settle her signs and clear this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )