Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I wormed my 2 year old Belgium Shepard 23kg this morning at

I wormed my 2 year old Belgium Shepard 23kg this morning at 10.00 with two 500mg Lopatol tablets, at 14.00 he was sick four times, he seems ok in himself running around as normal. Have the tablets worked, do I need to re worm him?
*****@******.***
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as your lad kept the tablets down for over an hour (which appears to be the case), we would have had adequate absorption of the worming medication. Therefore, you do not need to repeat worming again for him.

I would just note that since we do see GI upset with some dogs and some wormers, you might want to use an alternative when he is next due. Furthermore, if he has any more upset stomach sign, you can consider offering a light diet to keep that stomach settled. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.

Further to this, we can also cover him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/ Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But if he has a very upset stomach from the tablets, this would be an option to just address that for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )