Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our cat has just died, last night she has her food as normal

Our cat has just died, last night she had her food as normal at 6pm, at around 7pm she could hardly walk, her breathing became very shallow, I took her upstairs and let her lie in the sittingroom while I contacted the vet, I was advised to bring her in, her breathing became very slow, put her in her basket, by the time I started the car she had stopped breathing, what had caused this, she was only 10 years old and always active

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
My condolences for loss. In the great majority of cases, peracute (sudden) and acute death as you've described in a cat who hadn't been demonstrating any symptoms of illness can be attributed to advanced heart disease. I'll find an occult (hidden) cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease) which casues a fatal arrhythmia (irregular heart rate). Sudden death is a common sequela to cardiomyopathy. Cats need not demonstrate a progressive malaise, lethargy, and exercise intolerance followed by congestive heart failure as is more commonly seen in humans and dogs although both can also suddenly die from arrhythmia.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I marked your new post as a duplicate. We can continue on in this venue.

Yes, a previously noted heart murmur would add support for advanced heart disease as the etiology of her death.

I have to see my own doctor now but I promise to reply to you as soon as I return if need be. Please stay in this conversation.
Thank you once again.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.