Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

my labrador dog was diagnosed with masticatory myositis 1 month

my labrador dog was diagnosed with masticatory myositis 1 month ago he was prescribed high dose steroid 5x5 mg twice a day prednisinon he had a bad episode of sickness diarhea 1 week ago lay down shaking trembling could not walk very weak rushed to vets 3 different treatments prescribed. seem to get over this after 3days but left him weak and very lethargic. this sunday he had black sticky tar like stools vomiting shaking and could not walk his stomach was blow up like a ball he had lost a lot of body weight panting eye pupil enlarged rushed him to the vet again where i was told he had a mass/cancer in his stomach and it was the kindest thing to put him to sleep there and then. this had been a total shock to me he was only 4yrs old do you think it could have been diagnosed earlier
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Alfie.

Dr. Dave :

What tests were run on Alfie to diagnose the stomach mass/cancer? (i.e. blood work, X-rays, ultrasound, endoscopy, etc.)

Customer:

none

Dr. Dave :

Ok. It's hard to say for certain that cancer is present without specific tests to confirm it. I guess they were just going by the symptoms Alfie was showing at that time.

Customer:

no test were done although last year he had a bought of vomiting and xrays blood test were taken then with no diagnosis f cancer

Dr. Dave :

Several things can potentially cause the symptoms Alfie was showing, such as stomach or intestinal ulcers, or severe inflammation of the stomach or intestines, or a blood clotting disorder.

Dr. Dave :

Or, of course, cancer.

Dr. Dave :

Cancer in the stomach or intestines can be difficult to diagnose without ultrasound or endoscopy to actually visualize it.

Dr. Dave :

Bloodwork (or even X-rays) are not accurate for cancer of the stomach or intestines.

Dr. Dave :

So, early diagnosis (before symptoms occur) of stomach or intestinal cancer is not easy.

Customer:

ok we are so devastated to loose him and just hope we made the right decision for him

Dr. Dave :

I certainly understand - losing a good friend at a young age is very difficult, indeed.

Customer:

thank you for your answeres

Dr. Dave :

You're very welcome. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.