Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Ben hes ten and half german shepherd i think he has hay fever

Customer Question

Ben hes ten and half german shepherd i think he has hay fever as when hes been out lately he is rubbing his eyes and sneezed once or twice what i need to know is is it safe to give him piriton as he is in kidney failure and i dont want to give him something that will harm his kidneys any more Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Yes, Piriton (chlorpheniramine) is safely administered to patients suffering from renal insufficiency. The lower range of dosing - 4mg/dog twice daily - should be administered in case renal clearance of the drug is delayed due to
Ben's renal impariment.

Sedation is the most common side effect although you might also see dry mouth and decreased gastrointestinal secretions as evidenced by drier than usual stools. The efficacy of antihistamines in dogs suffering from hay fever is quite variable but generally low - 10-30% of dogs appear to benefit.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.