Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

hi my has just come into season and she is due to have

hi my bitch has just come into season and she is due to have her annual booster. I have bee told by a fiend that I can not take her to the vet while on heat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about taking Raven to the veterinarian for her booster vaccine while she is in heat.

Dogs can be vaccinated while they are in season, there is no change in the immune system's ability to respond to a vaccine while she is in season.
The concern for you and she would be the pandemonium she would likely create for all the male dogs in the clinic. My fear is that the males could get away from their owners in an attempt to breed her, you may get knocked over by an overzealous male, or worst case scenario she could get away from you and get bred.

If this is her distemper, adenovirus, parvo, parainfluenza booster then waiting 3 to 4 weeks until she has finished her season is fine. Her immunity won't wane enough during that short delay to create any concern if she had her puppy series of vaccines.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.