Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

We rescued a baby thrush from a cat.We have successfully reared

We rescued a baby thrush from a cat.We have successfully reared him to a fledgling. He has a deformed joint on one leg. It is bent upwards. He walks on his good leg and then dips down onto the bad side and walks/limps on the bent joint putting him totally off balance. I want it putting right but my local vet didn't seem interested.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the little bird's injury, but quite impressed with your compassionate desire to help him or her.
I apologize for the length of time this answer has taken to get back to you, but I don't believe any of the experts here have a very satisfactory answer for this problem. Once a joint injury like this has healed incorrectly, the only way to restore function is to undo the healing, and attempt to repair the joint. This would an extremely delicate operation in a small bird and very few veterinarians would be equipped or trained to successfully perform this surgery. The only possible help for the little one would be to take it to an avian veterinary specialist for evaluation and possible treatment. You can locate those avian veterinarians closest to your home by going online to "Avian veterinary specialists+the name of the nearest large city".
Birds are quite intelligent, and often can adapt to even fairly severe handicaps surprisingly well. If you can't find a medical solution to the condition, we can hope it will adapt and live out its life reasonably comfortably and happily.
I sincerely ***** ***** caring actions for this helpless creature and I hope you can further assist it, but if you should have any more questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****