Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

9 week kitten eating then vomiting sleeping all the time but

9 week kitten eating then vomiting sleeping all the time but drinking water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor wee lad!

How long has Wall:E been vomiting?

Can he keep any food down at all?

Any diarrhea?

Any chance he has ingested something he should not have (ie toys, bones, ribbons, string, plants, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Started vomiting yesterday no can't keep food down no diarrhea formed stools no hasn't swallowed anything he shouldn't have

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Deb,

First, as I am sure you can appreciate, if Wall:E is vomiting and cannot keep food down this is going to make him feel rough and inclined to just sleep (like we would in his position).

Now when kitties start vomiting there can be a number of culprits. This includes bacterial infection, viruses, parasites, dietary indiscretion, sensitive stomachs, foreign bodies, and toxins. Since you don't think he has eaten anything he should not have, we can hopefully put worries of him eating something he shouldn't have lower on our list of concerns for him at this point. And if we can do so, then you may be able to try to monitor him at home with supportive care at this point. That said, do be aware that if he stops being able to keep water down, then that is often a sign that the nausea is too severe for home treatments and we’d need his vet to at least treat him with anti-vomiting medication via injection.

Since he has shown vomiting recently, you will need to start but resting his stomach. Food should be withheld but water can stay down. Ideally, we’d want to do this for a few hours and once he is a bit more settle, you can consider trying to settle his stomach with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your kitty has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven’t mentioned.

Once that is on board, you can then tempt him with a small volume (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Now if he can keep the small amount down for, then you can offer a bit more after 30 minutes. And as he keeps it down, he can have a bit more, and so on. By offering a light diet, we are providing an easily digestible protein source for the compromised gut. And offering small volumes will again less the strain on the gut and give us a better chance of getting food down that stays down. Furthermore, with increased absorption of a light diet, we do find that this will reduce diarrhoea volumes as well.

Now since vomiting can quickly lead to a dehydrated cat (and dehydration will make them feel worse and complicate their situation), do keep an eye on his water intake and hydration status. To check his hydration status to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. (They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principle is just the same). If you check these and are already seeing signs of dehydration, then that would be a red flag that you'd want to have him seen by his vet before this becomes an additional issue for him (to avoid it getting to a stage where he has to be hospitalized for IV fluids).

Since toxicities and foreign bodies lodged in his GI are less likely here, I would suggest that you try the above. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 8-12 hours (since he is so young) or appears dehydrated already, then it'd be prudent to follow up with his vet so they can make sure there is nothing sinister afoot. The vet will be able to have a feel of him and make sure there are no GI obstructions, lumps, bumps, or worries and will be able to cover him with antibiotics against bacterial gastroenteritis. Furthermore, they can administer anti-vomiting medications by injection to help settle Wall:E's stomach and get him back on track as quick as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I will give it a try

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Deb.

Hopefully, we can get your wee lad's stomach settled and get him feeling a bit better for you.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.