Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Pups 8 weeks old how do I stop mothers milk in time for the

Customer Question

Pups 8 weeks old how do I stop mothers milk in time for the pups going to thier adopted homes, is there clinical help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee ones' situation, and wanted to help.

Now I am afraid you have things a wee bit backwards. The way to stop Willow from producing milk is to stop the puppies from nursing. If the stimulation of their nursing is stopped, then she will stop producing milk. In fact, in nature, her milk production will decline naturally over time, as the puppies reach a stage where they are able to take enough food based nutrition to need less milk from her. So, we really shouldn't be rushing them her milk production decline. That said, as long as the pups are eating properly, then they can be removed from her to go to their new homes whether she has milk or not.

Now in regards ***** ***** treatments, there is no medical treatment that we would really want to use here (especially since hormonal therapy for such a minor issue could potentially cause more harm then good). Instead, as long as the pups are eating normal food (thus milk is no longer necessary), you can choose to separate them from Willow. As well, if you are trying to speed up the process, then you can put a T-shirt over her to deny them access to her mammary glands and promote weaning in that way.

Overall, we don't need ot be stopping mum's milk production here. We can take steps to reduce pup access to milk, and this will facilitate weaning as well as reduce the stimulation driving her to produce milk. Otherwise, as long as the pups are eating normal puppy food for you, then you can consider letting them go it their new homes now. And as the pups go, there will be less demand on Willow to make milk and therefore she will dry up and stop producing it.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )