Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has been vomiting. I took him to the vet last year with

Customer Question

My cat has been vomiting. I took him to the vet last year with this and was told he maybe had a furball blockage and was given an injection for this which did bring up a small furball. Less than 2 weeks ago he was vomiting again, he is semiferal so goes out hunting at night and was told he had an infection as he had a temperature so was given 2 injections one antibiotic and one to stop vomiting also course of penicillin which I gave him the whole course. I don't know what to do as it is so soon after the last time. Can you please give me advice he is about 4 years old.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
This vet doesn't think that Rula's vomiting should be considered frequent if his last episode was last year. Cats are quite good at vomiting although they don't "houseclean" vomit" well; in other words, they don't fully empty their stomachs when they vomit. Vomitning seen in a hunter, in particular, isn't alarming. It empties the stomach of infectious agents and nondigestibles. In the great majority of the time, simply fasting my patient for 24 hours will rest the GI tract and suffice to normalize my cat. Antibiotics should be reserved for cats with evidence of GI tract infection (fever and overall malaise, mainly). If vomiting persists for more than 24 hours and particularly if diarrhea is seen, adminsitering supplemental fluids in the form of subcutaneous lactated ringers would be appropriate in order to avoid dehydration.

Please let me know how long Rula has been ill this time around and whether or not he's appetant. I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you.