Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my ***** ***** Terrier dog is gagging a lot, what can I do

my ***** ***** Terrier dog is gagging a lot, what can I do to help him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you think his gags are him retching or trying to vomit ?
Or cough?

Any chance he has eaten something he should not have?

Was he able to eat what you offered? Or did he bring it back up?

Are his gums nice and pink, not white/pale?

Any belly soreness or tenseness?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Trying to vomit

Dont know if he's eaten anything strange-loves to catch flies though.

He ate ok and it stayed down.

Gums nice and pink

Doesn't show any signs of soreness or tenseness on his belly when I felt all round.

Appears calm and unruffled. No signs of panic.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Millie,

I am glad that Harvey has no belly pain, has nice pink gums, and is unstresssed. These may concerns of serious issues like GI obstruction with foreign bodies (ie bones, stones, toys, etc) less likely here. Furthermore, if his breathing is comfortable and he isn't coughing, this rules out respiratory issues and upper airway irritants.

Now if we are seeing retching/gagging like he is trying to vomit but he can keep food down, then this suggests a low grade nausea. In this case, I would suggest that we take a few steps to see if we can settle his stomach and relieve any GI upset. To do so, you can offer him a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to to keep his stomach settled. The light diet options will contain a good amount of fluids (and you can always add more to the rice using low sodium chicken broth) to help keep him hydrated even if he isn't keen to drink. As well, the chicken broth can even be offered on its own to encourage drinking.

Further to this, we can also cover him with an antacid to settle any GI upset. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are
Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, his signs do suggest a bit of GI upset. This could be due to a dietary indiscretion or could be a precursor to a brewing bacterial gastroenteritis. Therefore, at this stage, our aim is sto settle his stomach and start a light diet to reduce any strain on his GI. Hopefully, we will be able to settle this for him with supportive care; but if you see any progression (ie vomiting, diarrhea, etc), then we'd want to consider a check with his vet to make sure nothing is brewing. If they do find a suspect bacterial bug causing Harvey's trouble, then appropriate treatment can be dispensed to nip this in the bud for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wanted to thank you personally. I had been so worried at first with Harvey's condition but you allayed my fears and also gave me helpful information for his future care. With me now retired and also a widow,he is a VIP(very important pup)to me.

Thank you so very much for your expertise.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome & thank you for your kind words, Millie. Smile

I am glad that I could help you and wish you both the best,
Dr. B.