Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is 17yrs old, suddenly she as lost loads of weight from

Customer Question

My cat is 17yrs old, suddenly she as lost loads of weight from the back end, she is thirsty all the time and is breathing faster, as no energy and sleeps most of the time
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with your 17 year old. Polydipsic (increased thirst) geriatric cats are either in renal or hepatic failure, diabetic (if she were also polyphagic - increased hunger), hypercalcemic (increased serum calcium level - usually associated with malignancy at her age), suffering from a urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, or is hyperthyroid (35% of hyperthyroid cats are polydipsic).

Because she's currently tachypneic (increased respiratory rate), I suspect that whichever disease process currently exists has become life-threatening. Her heart and lungs are likely to be responding to the need for her to correct her acid-base balance of her blood. In any event, she presents as a geriatric cat who needs to see her vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect a thorough physical exam to be performed as well as diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Her prognosis is necessarily very guarded; we're sure to determine why she's so ill but we might not be able to address that illness satisfactorily at her age.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanku i will take her 2 vet asap,but t at the moment is she in any pain
You're quite welcome. I wish I could confirm that she's pain free but I'd be putting the cart before the horse. Most of the above causes a "dish rag" feeling and perhaps nausea. A cancer, however, could be quite painful.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?