Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has constant diarrhoea, is there anything I can do.

Customer Question

My dog has constant diarrhoea, is there anything I can do. I am running out of options.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Has he been seen by a vet for this problem?
3- Any other symptoms besides the diarrhea?
4- Has he been dewormed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Over six months.

I am a pensioner, I took him to the vets, I was told he had Glycoma in both eyes, He said he would give me drops, to come back next week

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

6months, not as bad as it is now. No vet, about 3years ago I went to see a vet, and was told he had glycoma in both eyes. He ended up taking 1 eye out and giving me drops for the other, it cost me over £1000. I am a pensioner, cant afford to pay around £40 a week for his seeing him and

drops. He has lost weight, but not his appetite, still likes walks.

What can I try, thank you

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Shirley, diarrhea can be caused by dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. I would deworm him, you can use Panacur (fenbendazole), give it once a day for 3 days at label dose. Repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacure online, vet's office and in some pet stores.

2- Metamucil (psyllium) 1/2 tablespoon 1-2 times a day with food. You can buy metamucil over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

3- Change diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

4- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter