Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog has broke down this is the fist time since her phantom

my dog has broke down this is the fist time since her phantom pregnency she is bleeding but also has been sick and wont eat. The bleeding is kind of slimey and she keeps trying to do the toilet as if she needs all the time and just wants to sleep all the time my own vet is closed on sundays
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago was Poppy's last season?

When you say the bleeding looks slimey, do you mean its not fully blood but perhaps also mucus mixed in? Any odor or pus smell to the discharge?

Does she look like she is trying to urinate all the time?

Have you see any normal urine streams from her? Or just bits?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she has not broke down for theabout nine months this was due to her second phantom pregnancy we are waiting to get her dressed

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she has passed some urine and the blood is kind of slimey and she is sleeping and when out she keeps trying to do the toilet all the time

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Margaret,

Now I am quite concerned about Poppy.
The discharge you are seeing alongside her being unwell and straining raise 2 potential concerns here. Now from your further history on her urination, it is not possible to appreciate if the discharge is arising from the urinary tract. Still, as I am sure you can appreciate increased straining and bloody fluid from the genital tract can be a sign associated with bladder infections. So, this would be a concern for Poppy.

That said, my biggest concern here (especially in the wake of a false pregnancy where hormone levels would have been high) is that you are actually seeing bloody mucus/pus discharge from her uterus due to a uterine infection (aka open pyometra). This is where the uterus becomes infected and fills with pus. So, especially if you notice that this discharge has an odor and she is feeling poorly, this is a major concern. In regard to treatment for this condition, it would be a case of removing the infected uterus (just as we would with spaying). The only difference is that the spaying of a pyometra needs to be done urgently and not as a routine operation. The reason is because as the infection gains momentum in the uterus, we will see bacterial toxins leak back into the blood and cause them to feel sick. this can cause depression, lethargy, appetite loss, fever, and vomiting.

In this situation, as long as the pyometra is open and draining, you have 2 options. First, you can try monitoring her today with a view to having her seen first thing (on an empty stomach) by her vets in the morning. If you do so, then we'd want to use today to rest her stomach for the next 8-12 hours. Water can be offered during this period and if she settles, then you can try her with a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, etc). If you choose this option, then we'd want to have her there when they open on Monday so that the vet can confirm that this is uterine based and if so, she will need to be admitted for removal of the uterus at that stage.

Otherwise, you can have her seen today. Open pyometras are urgent but not emergencies. So if you did have her seen today, the vet would likely diagnose it, start her on antibiotics, and medication to settle her stomach over today with a view to her coming back on Monday morning for an urgent spay. If she is very poorly, they may admit her for IV fluids to help flush the bacterial toxins out of her system while treating her.

Overall, these are our major concerns for Poppy and what we need to do to help her. You noted that her vet is not open today, but this is not strictly true since vets in our country are obligated to provide out of hour care.This means the office may not be open, but there will be a vet on call or a local vet ER covering emergencies over the weekend. Therefore, if she is very poorly, very nauseous or stops being able to keep water down, it is worth ringing the practice. If they were open, you can get her seen today. But even if they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.