Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

our 12year old westie has started bleeding when he goes for

Customer Question

our 12year old westie has started bleeding when he goes for a poo with blood clot he has a lump when he has finished listless and sleeping more than usual he still eating his food and drinking he struggles to go up the doorstep and cant jump onto his chair now and his back legs shake
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Flynn is not feeling well....

The most likely cause for this is arthritis that is making Flynn have a generalized pain and this causes him to not want to have a bowel movement because it hurts. When the stool remaons in teh colon too long, the hard stool will cause irritation to the very sensitive rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed. This will resolve once the stool is normal.

For now, give Flynn aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and give Flynn a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store. This will add lubrication to Flynn's joints decreasing pain.

Do not allow Flynn to jump on anything or even climb stairs to allow the medication to work and stabilize a disc issue that could also cause this.

It is best to have your vet examine Flynn since his age could cause other metabolic issues that may require treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much, Doreen, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope sweet Flynn feel better soon!

Have a wonderful day!