Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 11 yr old retrievers back legs gave way on his walk today

My 11 yr old retrievers back legs gave way on his walk today . He was then only able to shuffle a few steps before stopping and had to be carried in and out of the car. He is a very large dog with an unusually long back. What is the best thing for me to do? And what is the best joint protection and pain relief I can give him. Sadly I am a one parent family so finances are tight. I knew that this would happen one day and just want to make his quality of life as best as I can.
I'd appreciate your advice.
Sara
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he have problems with his back legs prior to this happening?
2- Is he currently on any medications or supplements? If so, what are the names?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
6- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He's been slowing down and doesn't chose to do the stairs anymore.

He's always had a lobsided walk due to his length. He would stiffen up after a walk and sometimes struggle to get in and out of the car but recover after a day or so. His legs have never given way like they did today.

He isn't on any meds and has been taking "joint aid for dogs" for only a month.

He has a sensitive stomach generally but there has been no vomiting or diarrhea.

He weighs approx 38 - 40 kilos but isn't fat just a v large dog.

His only pre exisiting conditions is joint stiffness. He has lost muscle bulk and has become quite bony round his back end.

He has a good appetite and has not cried out in pain but he is a very gentle natured dog.

He did go swimming during this walk which is quite normal for him and the terrain on the banks of the river is uneven which may have jolted his back. This walk was also a bit longer than he has had for a while so I recognise that he may have over done it.

He will stand and walk in the house short distances now we have dried him but his back is quite arched and he is limping more on his right leg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
What is the active ingredient and milligrams in the joint aide?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chondriotin 1%, collagen0.5%, curcumin 0.5%, glocosamine 2%, glutamine1%, hemp oil, MSM 1%, vit c 1%, oatinol 5%
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sara, the history and symptoms that you are describing in Lester is consistent with arthritis of the hips, spine or both. I do understand your financial limitations. But, the best option for Lester is starting him on a long term prescription medication like Rimadyl (carprofen). I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Start him on Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1.5 tablets every 12 hours for 1 week.
2- Continue on Glucosamine/chondroitin, but, increase the dose to 600mg a day long term.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter