Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi, My ex race horse has cut his leg open, 4 small cuts, he

Customer Question

Hi, My ex race horse has cut his leg open, 4 small cuts, he isn't lame and i have cleaned it with hibi scrub, used Hypocare spray and a gel barrier to stop the flys getting at it. He is currently living out and is walking on it quite happily, Am i better off leaving the wound open (with the barrier on) or should i bandage it ? any advice welcome !
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If these are superficial, non-gaping wounds and you can ensure that the wounds are protected from fly-strike and infection, then it'd be ideal to leave them open to the air to dry out and granulate. In fact, when we bandage these wounds we can see increased wound gaping, decreased wound contraction (shrinking) rates, and more granulation tissue than unbandaged wounds. Not to mention when a wound is bandaged, we can end up locking in moisture and infection, and cannot readily examine the wound status. Furthermore, bandaged wounds have an increased risk of proud flesh that may need future trimming. So, if the wound can be adequately protected, managed, and treated; then this would be ideal to not bandage at this stage. Of course, if these wounds were deep or gaping, then stitching would be indicated.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The wounds are not gaping and the gel has a fly repellant in in so they seem to be staying away, it happened last night and i have checked him again this morning and there are no signs of swelling of infection, i shall check him again this afternoon and make sure it is still clean and as long as it stays clean i will leave it open.

Thank you for your help

Charlotte

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Charlotte.

That does sound best approach for these wounds. So, do keep a close eye but hopefully we can just keep treating and leaving them open to facilitate drying out and speedy healing.

All the best,

Dr. B.