Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 15 week old pug puppy. She is full of energy and

I have a 15 week old pug puppy. She is full of energy and eats properly, and during the day her poo is fine but when it comes to the evening it goes runny and more frequent until 1 or 2 in the morning. She was like this 2-3 weeks ago and then she had a worming tablet and she was then fine at night after about 2 days. But she is not due another one for over a week and I don't know what to do or why she is like this. there seems to be no reason or pattern to it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is a phenomena we can see with animals when they have mild GI disturbances (as opposed to full blown infections with parasites, protozoa, bacteria, or viruses). Often they are in control of their motions in the daytime (as any delay in passing this due to daytime stimuli allows the feces more time in the GI to form properly) but the soft stools become more evident as everything calms down for the evening. (It is the same phenomena that makes us feel more unwell at nighttime, then during the day).

In any case, I am glad to see she is up to date for worming. I would advise treating her with her next dose when it is due. But in the meantime would suggest considering a GI supportive treatment to see if we can just settle this gut. Examples that would be worth using with your lass would be GI microflora (the good bacteria that live in the gut) supports like Fortiflora (More Info) or Pro-Kolin Enterogenic (More Info). Both can be mixed into her diet and correct any wee imbalances in the good gut bacteria to facilitate restoration of normal GI production. Furthermore, if her stools are very runny, then Pro- Kolin also makes a probiotic paste (example) that works like the Enterogenic sachets but also contains a small volume of Kaolin to soothe the GI, slow fecal transition to encourage normal stool formation. All of these should be available OTC at your vets.

Overall, based on her intermittent signs during the day, I would be more concerned about a GI microflora disturbance as opposed to worms or a raging infection. So, I would advise the above for her. Further to this, you can consider a light diet option for her evening meal (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or scrambled egg) and if you find her struggling to settle then you may wish to just pop a fecal sample into her vets for testing to make sure there are no low grade agents triggering this abnormal stool.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks very much for that, how much scrambled egg should I give her in evening?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tracey,

It will depend on her and the egg's size, but generally speaking 1-2 eggs should be fine for a small light meal for a pug pup her age.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks again, I have one more question, can you tell me why this happens with her on an intermittent basis? She was ok for the first 3 weeks of us having her and then we had a week of up all nght, then she had worming tablet and a couple of days later she was fine and was ok for the next 2-3 weeks and now she is bad again.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome Tracy,

As I noted before, often the odd evening fecal consistency issues are just due to them being more aware of needing to go then they would be during the day. During the day, they are distracted by all that is going on, but at night there is less mental stimuli and thus any mild GI disturbance signs are more significant then (so we see them go more and see the abnormal stools). If she had a full blown diarrhea bug, then we'd expect signs all the time. But with mild disturbances, we do see this worse in the eve/night situation just because they aren't able to ignore it as well at that point in the day.

So, as I noted, usually supportive measures are all we need for these wee ones to help settle that gut disturbance.

All the best,

Dr. B.

can appear more severe at that point.