Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a westy. She is 6 her normal self eating and drinking

I have a westy. She is 6 her normal self eating and drinking normally running around
sleeping well not urinating more than normal. She has skin allergies and I give her
2 evening primrose and 1 cod liver oil capsils plus 1-2 piriton a day. However she never stops licking her feet.
We have changed where she pees to a hard surface as it was sand and gravel and she got this in her ear which gave her a ear infection which she had antibiotics and steroids and is now clear has been for two months
I have noticed that when she pees there is blood in her urine most of it is clear but a little slick is in there which seems strange and when the urine dries it is clear. we have had a look as we though it was might be a cut that opens when she squats as otherwise we thought the whole of the urine would be coloured.
Lastly we got her at 10 months and she had passed hands three times before but we have been told she was spayed but could she be in season I can't fine a scar where would this be
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she been with you?
2- What you are calling slick is it like jelly?
3- Are you seeing any vaginal swelling?
4- Is there blood or a discharge in her vagina?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been with us for 5 years.

No it is not jelly like just a tiny pool of blood within the big pool of pee

and the last few drops are discoloured

No there is no vaginal swelling or discharge

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Gillianne, what you are describing is not her being in season. There are several other possble causes for the bloody urine in a female dog. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Urinary tract infections, bladder stones, inflammation of the bladder, etc. to name a few causes. This is not a life threatening situation but, I would have Misty checked by family veterinarian to do a urinalysis, xrays of the abdomen (bladder) and +/- urine culture and sensitivity (C&S).
As far as her being spayed or not there are blood test test your vet can do to check if she has been spayed. But, if she has not gone into heat in the last 5 years (since being with you) it is very likely she is not spayed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter