Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Can you use frontline on poultry to kill Northern Mite. If

Can you use frontline on poultry to kill Northern Mite. If so what strenght
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Frontline can be used off license on poultry and it has been found to be effective against the Northern mite. Do note though that it is not
approved for use in birds, which means there is no research on how long the drug withdrawal is from meat or eggs. Therefore, while there are no reports of adverse effects, we would want to consider discarding eggs for 2-4 weeks after treatment.

Otherwise, you can use the cat/small dog spot-on at a dose rate of 1-2 drops on skin at base of neck & near vent. 1 pipette will treat approximately 4-7 birds. Or if you choose to use the Frontline spray, then you would want to apply 1-2 squirts on skin under each wing, at base of neck & near vent.

Of course, this treatment should be accompanied by good hygiene and thorough cleaning of the environment, since these critters can live off the host and therefore survive in bedding and hen houses if these are not addressed as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )