Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi what is a safe mite treatment for dwarf hamsters?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

The mite product that I routinely use for small furries like hamsters is called Xeno. It is available over the counter and for hamsters we would need to use the small version known as Xeno 50- Mini (example). Now if you do use this with Bullet and Rocket, do remember to have a gram scale ready so that you can check their weight prior to dosing (the product does have a dosing chart based on size/weight on the back). Afterwards, you will apply the indicated dose to the skin on the back of the neck. To keep them from orally ingesting the treatment off one another, you will want to keep them separated for a few hours until the Xeno has completely dried.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi is this something available in the uk?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Miranda,

I can tell you as a UK vet that this product is certainly available in the UK. As well, as you will see from my link, even Amazon.co.uk carry this for our wee ones.

All the best,

Dr. B.