Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hello my cat is 12 years old and for the past 2 months has

Hello my cat is 12 years old and for the past 2 months has been suffering from diarrhoea and her eyes have a film over them and one eye has the second eyelid constantly and is black. she is not eating very well and is sleeping a lot in the day but does go out in the night she has lost a lot of weight. she does hunt and often brings home her prey. half eaten.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Kathleen, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me; I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Chevy isn't feeling well.

The eye issues may or may not be related to her diarrhea problem since the third eyelid can cover the eyes in some cats when they have looser stools.
At this age, there could be several different possible explanations for the symptoms you're seeing. In no particular order, they are:

1. Systemic disease such as problems with the kidneys, liver, pancreas. Bloodwork would be needed to rule out these conditions.
2. Inflammatory bowel disease It would take a biopsy to diagnose this problem (which many owners are understandably reluctant to have done for an older cat) but diet is often associated with triggering inflammation in the intestines. Changing the diet can often help these cats.
Suggested options to consider would be:
Feeding grain free may help in some cases but often you have to feed more hypoallergenic diets such as Z/D (from your vet), or Natural Ba***** *****mited Ingredient Diets, Nature's Variety Instincts line, Evo duck or venison, Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Medallions (I recommend that they be zapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on each side).
These cats often need to be treated with drugs such as Metronidazole or Tylosin or even steroids which would have to be prescribed by your vet.

3. Toxoplasmosis (LINK) especially since she hunts and eats her prey. This particular condition can affect the eyes which makes it a strong possibility.
Toxoplasmosis isn't always the easiest diagnosis to make with blood work (an antibody test) but if I suspect it, then I'll treat with Clindamycin. Usually, I'll start to see gradual improvement within just a few days although it may take a week for 100% recovery.

4. I'll include Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS since she does go outside and may have exposure to other cats. These diseases can present in a multitude of ways and involve multiple organ systems. We do have fairly accurate tests for these diseases although Leukemia has a poorer prognosis than AIDS.

5. Unfortunately, cancer would have to be included on the list although it gives me no pleasure to do so. Lymphoma, for example, can affect more than one organ.

You could add a daily probiotic to her food such as Forti Flora which might help with the looser stool issues but I wouldn't feel comfortable advising any over the counter drugs for her since cats can be very sensitive to many of them. I wouldn't want to worsen the situation.

You could also feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken or human baby food (avoid those with onion or garlic in them) which may be helpful...it certainly won't be harmful.

I'm sorry that my response can't be a more positive one but I would be doing a disservice to both you and Chevy if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you. I hope you understand.
I also hope that this is helpful and provides possible explanations for her symptoms. Deb.