Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 12 month old puppy had an allergic reaction to what his

My 12 month old puppy had an allergic reaction to what his vet thinks is a bee or wasp sting to his mouth or throat. He had a steroid injection at 4.00pm today but is still very lethargic and unhappy. He is no longer shaking bodily or drooling excessively and I managed to coax him to take a tablespoon of food. Do you think that I should seek further support tonight?
Jackie
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours since he received the steroid injection?
2- Has his symptoms worsen since seen by the veterinarian?
3- Is he having difficulty breathing?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for responding to my question. Sprocket has just perked up a little and eaten and drank a small amount independently, therefore I am more confident to keep him under observation myself.
He had the steroid injection 5 hours ago now. His breathing is far less laboured, he has stopped snorting all the time and his gums are pink. His tail has also made a reappearance and he is holding his head up. However, he is still very sleepy but I guess that is because of all the stress on his system earlier.
Thank you again
Jackie
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jackie, I am happy to learn he is doing better. It seems like the steroid injection has started to take effect and reduce the inflammatory response seen with allergic reactions. Keep him under observation if he becomes lethargic, difficulty breathing, pale gums, etc. have him checked immediately by nearest ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter